The Magic of Adding Audio to Your Website
The world of online content creators is filled with individuals who want to share their voices with the world. And, thanks to modern technology, now they can! One of the most popular website builders out there, WordPress, has made it easy for bloggers, podcasters, musicians, and anyone who wants to share their audio content with the world.
Going Audio with WordPress
There are different ways to add audio to WordPress, but in this article, we will be discussing how to upload audio to WordPress using the Media Library feature. We will also be looking at some of the best practices that can help you optimize the audio files for better user experience.
Audio File Types Supported by WordPress
Before we move forward, let’s first look at the types of audio file formats that are supported by WordPress, including:
- MP3 – Popular for music and podcasts
- WAV – High-quality format that creates lossless files
- FLAC – Similar to WAV but creates smaller files
- OGG – An open-source format that produces high-quality files
- AAC – A commonly used format that produces high-quality files
How to Upload Audio to WordPress
Now that we have listed the file formats that are supported let’s move forward with the steps involved in uploading audio files to WordPress.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard.
- Navigate to the Media Library by clicking on “Media” on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Click on the “Add New” button located on the top left-hand corner of the Media Library page.
- Choose a file to upload by clicking on the “Select Files” button or drag and drop the file into the upload box.
- Upload the audio file, and as it uploads, you will see a progress bar. Once complete, the audio file will appear in the Media Library.
- Edit the Audio File by clicking on it to open the Media Editor. You can edit the audio file’s metadata, including title, description, captions, categories, and tags. You can also make the audio file the featured image for your post.
- Embed the Audio File by clicking on the “Copy” button next to the audio file’s URL, and this copies the audio file’s URL to your clipboard.
- Add the Audio File to your WordPress post by pasting the audio file’s URL in the editor.
- Publish your post by clicking on the “Publish” button to make your post live.
Best Practices for Uploading Audio Files to WordPress
Now that you have learned how to upload audio to WordPress let’s look at some best practices that will help you optimize the audio files:
- Compress your audio files to reduce their size without decreasing their quality. Large audio files can slow down your website.
- Add a featured image to your audio file to improve its visual appeal, attract attention, and lead to increased engagement and traffic.
- Use a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to deliver your content faster to users and improve their experience.
- Add metadata like title, description, and keywords to describe the audio file’s content and make it more SEO-friendly.
- Test your audio files on different browsers and devices before publishing your content to ensure they work well.
Adding audio files to your WordPress website is a fantastic feature that can enhance your blog or podcast. By following the best practices discussed in this article, you can optimize your audio files for faster loading and better user experience.