If You Use WordPress, Learn How to Transfer Your Site to Another Account
WordPress is hailed as a versatile platform for website design and development. If you’re a WordPress user, you’re probably familiar with its flexible features. But, there may be instances when you need to transfer your WordPress site to another account. A common reason is when you are selling your website. Transferring your WordPress site can seem daunting, particularly if you’re inexperienced with the process.
However, don’t fret as transferring a WordPress site is simpler than it may appear. With the appropriate knowledge and tools, you can proceed with the process seamlessly, without losing essential data or content. This guide will illustrate how to transfer a WordPress site to another account step-by-step:
Step 1: Backup Your WordPress Site
The essential first step to transferring your WordPress site is backing up your site. A backup copies all website files, databases, and content. It guarantees that you have a complete copy of your site at a specific point in time, providing a safety net in case something goes awry. Many backup plugins are available to backup your WordPress site. Popular options include UpdraftPlus, BackupBuddy, and Duplicator. Here’s how to use UpdraftPlus to create your WordPress site’s backup:
- Log into your WordPress site and navigate to the Plugins page
- Search for UpdraftPlus in the search bar and click Install Now once you find it
- Once installed, click Activate to activate the plugin
- Navigate to the UpdraftPlus tab and click Settings
- Select your backup options, such as where you want your backup to be saved, and how often you want to create it
- Click Save Changes once you have selected your backup options
- Finally, click Backup Now to create a full backup of your WordPress site.
Step 2: Prepare Your New WordPress Account
Next, you need to prepare your new WordPress account. Here’s how:
- Purchase a new hosting plan and create a new WordPress account with the same provider you’re currently using for your old account
- Install WordPress on your new account by following the instructions provided by your new hosting provider
- Create a new database for your new WordPress account. Your hosting provider should supply you with a cPanel login to create a new database. Create a new database username and password as well
- Write down the database name, username, and password as you’ll need them later in the transfer process.
Step 3: Export Your WordPress Site From Your Old Account
Once you have backed up your WordPress site and prepared your new account, the next step is to export your site from your old account. Follow these steps:
- Log into your old WordPress account and navigate to the Tools > Export page
- Select All Content to export your entire site, or choose the content you want to transfer to your new account
- Click Download Export File to download the XML file containing your site’s content
- Save the XML file to a location on your computer where you can quickly locate it later.
Step 4: Import Your WordPress Site To Your New Account
Now that you have exported your WordPress site from your old account, import it to your new account:
- Log into your new WordPress account and go to the Tools > Import page
- Select WordPress from the list of importers and click Install Now to install the WordPress Importer plugin
- Once the plugin is installed, click Activate to activate it
- Click Choose File and select the XML file saved in Step 3
- Click Upload File and Import after selecting the XML file
- On the next page, assign the imported content to an existing user or create a new user for the imported content
- Click Submit.
Step 5: Update Links And Settings
Now that you’ve imported your WordPress site to your new account, it is time to update the links and settings:
- Go to Settings > General and update the Site Title and Site URL to reflect your new account
- If your old account used custom permalinks, update them to conform to your new account by going to Settings > Permalinks
- If your old account had any custom code or settings, recreate them on your new account
- Finally, test your new site thoroughly to ensure that everything works as expected.
In conclusion, transferring a WordPress site to another account may seem like a complicated process, but it’s relatively straightforward if you follow these steps. Remember to backup your site, prepare your new account, export your WordPress site from your old account, import it to your new account, and update your links and settings. With a little patience and attention to detail, you can transfer your WordPress site to another account without any hiccups. Good luck!