Rollback WordPress Updates: Exploring Methods
WordPress is widely used for creating websites and blogs, but occasionally an update can cause issues with your website, and you may need to rollback WordPress updates to fix the issues you face. In this article, we will discuss the various methods that can be used to rollback WordPress updates.
Why Roll Back a WordPress Update?
Before diving into the methods of rollback WordPress updates, it is important to understand why it is necessary to do so. Some common reasons include:
- Compatibility issues with plugins, themes, or the update can break website pages, cause errors or crashes.
- Security vulnerabilities in updates can make websites vulnerable to malware, hacking, or other cybersecurity threats.
- A new update may remove or change the functionality that is essential to the website, making the previous version more suitable.
Exploring Methods to Rollback WordPress Updates
1. Create a Backup
Prior to starting any rollback process, it is crucial to create a backup of your website. This will ensure that no valuable data or content is lost. There are backup plugins like UpdraftPlus or BackupBuddy that can easily backup your website, or your hosting provider’s backup can be used.
2. Use a Previous Backup
If you have a backup before the update, you can use it to restore the website’s previous version. These steps are necessary:
- Login to the hosting account and head to the site’s database.
- Locate the backup file you want to use and download it.
- Access the site’s root folder via an FTP client like FileZilla.
- Extract the downloaded backup file and upload the contents to the root folder of your site.
- Overwrite the current files in your website with the backup files.
- Once the upload is complete, go to the website’s admin dashboard and ensure everything is working as expected.
3. Use WP Rollback Plugin
The WP Rollback plugin is designed precisely to help users easily rollback WordPress updates. These instructions can be followed:
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Head over to the Plugins section and search for WP Rollback.
- Install and activate the plugin.
- Locate the plugin or theme you want to roll back to in the Plugins or Themes section.
- Click on the Rollback button placed underneath the plugin or theme.
- Select the version you want to restore and hit the Rollback button.
- Wait for the process to finish, and verify if everything is working as desired.
4. Manually Replace Files
If you are not willing to use the WP Rollback plugin, files can be manually replaced that were modified during the update. These steps can be implemented:
- Login to your FTP client and access the root folder of your site.
- Locate the wp-admin and wp-includes folders and rename them.
- Download the previous version of WordPress from the official WordPress repository.
- Extract the downloaded files and upload the wp-admin and wp-includes folders to your site’s root folder.
- Check if everything is working as desired.
Note that by using this method, any customization made to the updated files will be lost.
Updating WordPress is necessary for keeping your site secure and functional, but it may cause issues with your website. Therefore, rollback WordPress updates can be done, using any of the methods explained above. However, backing up your website is essential before starting any rollback process, to ensure that no valuable data or content is lost.