Oh My Toolbox: Adding SSIS in Visual Studio 2019
For developers who work with SQL Server Integration Services, adding the SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) Toolbox in Visual Studio 2019 is a must-do task. The SSIS Toolbox is a set of tools that enable developers to design, manage, and edit integration services packages within the Visual Studio environment.
Step 1: Install SQL Server Data Tools
To add the SSIS toolbox in Visual Studio 2019, the first step is to install SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) if it hasn’t been installed yet. SSDT is an extension to Visual Studio that offers developers an array of features for contemplating, engineering, and deploying SQL Server databases, reporting services reports, analysis services models, and integration services solutions.
To install SSDT in Visual Studio 2019:
- Open Visual Studio 2019 and click the Extensions on the menu bar.
- In the Extension Manager window, select the Online tab and type “SQL Server Data Tools” in the search bar.
- Choose “Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools” option, and click install to start the installation process.
After the installation, restart Visual Studio.
Step 2: Add the SSIS Toolbox in Visual Studio
After installing SSDT, you can add the SSIS Toolbox in Visual Studio 2019 by following these steps:
- Open Visual Studio and go to the View menu.
- From the Drop-down menu, click the Other Windows option, and select the SSIS Toolbox option.
If you can’t find the SSIS Toolbox on the list, try restarting Visual Studio or reopen the solution.
Step 3: Customize the SSIS Toolbox
You can customize the SSIS Toolbox to suit your specific needs after adding it to Visual Studio 2019. Here are some useful tips on how to customize the SSIS Toolbox:
- To open the SSIS Toolbox window, go to View > Other Windows > SSIS Toolbox.
- You can add new items to the toolbox by right-clicking on the toolbox and selecting Add Tab or Add Item. Then, give it a name, and click OK.
- To reorganize items, click and hold an item in the toolbox, and drag it to a new location.
- To remove unused items from the toolbox, right-click them and select Delete.
- You can quickly search for an item in the toolbox by clicking the Search textbox at the top of the toolbox window and typing in the item’s name.
- You can pin the toolbox to keep it open all the time by clicking the Pin icon in the upper-right corner of the toolbox window.
Adding the SSIS Toolbox in Visual Studio 2019 is an essential task for developers who work with SQL Server Integration Services. By following the steps outlined above, you can install SQL Server Data Tools, add the SSIS Toolbox, and customize it to suit your needs. These simple tips can help streamline your development process and help build effective integration solutions.