The Perplexing Art of Product Organization on WordPress
Setting up an online store or e-commerce website can be one of the most confusing tasks in the digital world. There are always numerous factors to consider, including the much-overlooked product organization.
Product Categories – The Holy Grail of E-Commerce
For those powering their online store using WordPress, it is imperative to master the art of adding product categories to your pages.
Product categories are the make or break components of an online store. They allow customers to easily find what they are interested in, help manage the products, and track the sales to manage the inventory as best as possible.
Categorizing vs. Tagging
Before you proceed to create product categories, it is important to understand how they differ from the tags. Categories help group similar products together, while tags describe attributes or characteristics of a product. For example, “Men’s clothing” would be a category and “shirts” and “jeans” would be tags.
Creating Product Categories
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and find “Products.”
- Click “Categories” to access the category management screen.
- To add a new category, click “Add New Category.”
- Enter the name of the category, add a description, and choose a parent category if you want to create a subcategory.
- Click the “Add New Category” button to save the new category.
- Rinse and repeat to create as many categories as your store needs.
Adding Product Categories to a WordPress Page
- From your WordPress dashboard, navigate to “Appearance,” then click on “Menus.”
- Select the menu to which you want to add the category and click on the “Select” button.
- Under the “Categories” section, select the categories you want to add to the menu by clicking on the checkboxes next to them.
- Rearrange the order of the categories by dragging and dropping them if needed. You can also create submenus.
- Click “Save Menu” button to save your changes.
Creating a Product Category Page
- From your WordPress dashboard, navigate to “Pages” and click on “Add New.”
- Enter the title of the page, such as “Men’s Clothing.”
- In the editor, click on the (+) icon to add a new block.
- Search for “Products by Category” under the “Widgets” section and select it.
- In the block settings, choose the category you want to display and select how many products you want to show.
- Publish the page and view it on your website.
A well-organized store makes it easy for customers to find what they’re looking for and improves overall sales and customer satisfaction. Follow these steps to create and add product categories to your website using WordPress, and you’ll be one step closer to offering a superior shopping experience.