Keywords, the bread and butter of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies, are the words and phrases that users type into search engines like Google, Yahoo!, and Bing. To grab a spot on the first page of search results, you must make sure your website contains relevant and popular keywords. If you’re a WordPress user, you’re in for a treat as WordPress tools are here to help. Be prepared to learn how to set keywords to ensure you improve your website’s visibility in search engines!
What In Tarnation is Keyword Research?
Before diving into the keyword-setting process, you must get a grip on keyword research. The idea is to identify the words and phrases that potential customers use when seeking your website type. To conduct effective keyword research, you must create a list of relevant and popular keywords that will optimize your content for search engines. To discover popular keywords, you can use Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, SEMRush, and Moz.
However, don’t overuse keywords, as this is known as “keyword stuffing,” and it harms your website’s ranking. Instead, use your keywords naturally in your content. Don’t stress, though; it’s effortless to do this with the aid of WordPress tools.
How to Set Keywords in WordPress
1. Use the Yoast SEO Plugin
Yoast SEO is one of the most popular WordPress SEO plugins. It assists users in optimizing their content and enhances their website’s visibility in search rankings. Simply select a focus keyword, and Yoast SEO suggests you to use it in the post title, meta description, and the content of your page or post.
To use Yoast SEO to set keywords:
– Install and activate Yoast SEO.
– Create a page or post.
– Scroll down to Yoast SEO settings and click on the “Focus Keyword” field.
– Enter your chosen keyword and click Save.
– The Yoast SEO plugin will analyze your content and offer optimization suggestions.
2. Use the Default WordPress Editor
The Default WordPress editor also allows you to set keywords for your content.
To use the Default WordPress editor to set keywords:
– Create a new page or post.
– Add content to the editor.
– Scroll down to the “Yoast SEO” section and click on “Edit Snippet.”
– Enter your focus keyword in the “Focus Keyword” field.
– The editor will analyze your content and provide suggestions to optimize your content for your chosen keyword.
3. Use Tags and Categories
To help users find specific content by organizing your content, WordPress lets you assign tags and categories to your posts. Using relevant categories and tags to your content helps search engines understand your content better and improves your website’s visibility on search rankings.
To use tags and categories to set keywords:
– Create a post.
– Add content to the editor.
– In the “Categories” section, select a relevant category for your post.
– In the “Tags” section, add relevant tags that describe your post’s content.
4. Use Header Tags
Header tags structure your content, making it easier for users and search engines to understand your content. By using relevant keywords in header tags, you help search engines identify your content’s primary topics improving your website’s visibility in search rankings.
To use header tags to set keywords:
– In the WordPress editor, highlight the text you want to use as a header.
– Choose a header type and add your keyword.
Now you know how to set popular and relevant keywords in WordPress, you have no excuse not to optimize your website’s content and improve your website’s visibility on search engines. Whether you use Yoast SEO, tags and categories, or header tags, you must use keywords naturally to avoid keyword stuffing, which negatively impacts your website’s ranking.