WordPress: A perplexing but bursty platform for creating websites and blogs
WordPress is a widely used and bewildering platform for building websites and blogs. This tool features an effortless and straightforward interface that enables users to be dynamic and engaging content creators without acquiring technical skills. Despite WordPress’s multiple useful features, it can still be confusing to understand and utilize them efficiently; one of these integral features, for instance, is the spell check capacity.
The Vexatious Spell Check Feature
The spell check is an essential tool that bloggers, journalists, and editors use to create error-free and professional written content on their websites. This feature helps to identify and correct the spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, and grammatical blunders that may be present thus devaluing the site’s credibility. Nevertheless, WordPress can be arcane, making it difficult to realize how to activate and correctly utilize the spell check capability.
How to Enable the WordPress Spell Check feature
First things first, to begin correcting errors on WordPress, you have to ascertain that spell check is enabled for your site. Luckily, you do not need any external plugins as it is a built-in feature. The steps below will help you setup your spell check option
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard using your username and password
- Access the Settings Page by clicking the “Settings” option on the left-side menu and then click on the “Writing” option
- Scroll down to the “Formatting” section, and at the very bottom of the page, you shall see a checkbox labeled “Check spelling, capitalization, and grammar.”
- Click on the checkbox to enable the spell check option.
- Save your settings by clicking the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
Correcting Spell Check Errors
Once your spell checker is enabled, you can start using it to correct all your mistakes. This feature works in real-time, meaning that it will automatically suggest the right spelling for you as you type.
- Write your content in the WordPress editor
- As you type, WordPress will automatically underline any misspelled word with a red dotted line.
- Hover your cursor over the word to see the suggested corrections
- WordPress will present you with a list of possible suggestions.
- Click on the correct spelling option to replace the misspelled word. Nevertheless, if you think the initial spelling is correct, ignore the suggestion and continue typing.
- After typing your content, make sure you thoroughly examine your work, manually checking for spelling or grammatical errors the spell checker may have missed
Additional Steps to Ensure Accurate Spell Check in WordPress
Besides enabling the spell checker’s built-in functionality, some extra steps can be taken to achieve accurate spell check:
- Using Third-party Spell Check Plugins which offers user-customizable spelling correction and grammar-checking capabilities
- Creating a Custom Dictionary, which allows users to include technical terms or brand names that may not be recognized by the standard dictionary thus minimizing false positive suggestions.
- Using an Offline Spell Checker which helps users who may opt to work offline or site areas with limited connectivity. Microsoft Word, for instance, offers robust offline spelling capabilities that can work hand in hand with WordPress.
WordPress offers a comprehensive and versatile platform that enables creators to generate engaging and error-free content for their sites with minimal technical skills. Utilizing the spell check feature is crucial in producing high-quality content that resonates with readers. Though WordPress may be intimidating for beginners, by following the latest standards and heeding expert guidance, your website or blog can thrive, and your readers will undoubtedly appreciate your attention to detail and your commitment to delivering high-quality content.