Perplexity and Burstiness: Adding Links to Your WordPress Menu
The Basics of WordPress Menus
WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems in the world, largely because of its user-friendly interface. With WordPress, even non-techies can set up a website and manage its content with ease. One of the key features that sets WordPress apart is its customizable menu system. By default, the platform provides a basic menu that website owners can modify to create a custom navigation bar.
But what is a menu in WordPress, exactly? At its most basic level, a WordPress menu is a collection of links that appear on a website’s header or footer sections. These links lead to different pages or posts on the website, or even to external websites. The menu typically features a list of dropdown links that users can click on to get to specific pages or posts.
Why Add Links to Your WordPress Menu?
Adding links to your WordPress menu has a few key benefits. First, it makes it easier for users to navigate throughout your website. Rather than having to search for specific pages or posts or type in a URL, users can simply click on the links provided in the menu. This saves time and creates a better user experience, which can ultimately lead to more conversions on your website.
In addition, linking to external resources such as social media profiles or relevant websites from your navigation menu can help drive more traffic to your site and promote your brand.
Step-by-Step Guide to Adding Links to Your WordPress Menu
Ready to add a link to your WordPress menu? Here’s how:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard. You will need your admin username and password to log in.
- Access your Menu screen. From your dashboard, navigate to Appearance and click on Menus. This action will take you to the menu editor screen, where you can customize your navigation menu.
- Choose a menu location. If you have multiple menus, you need to specify the location of the menu you want to modify. In this case, choose the menu location you want to edit from the dropdown, and hit the Select button.
- Add a custom link to your menu. Once you’ve selected your menu location, scroll down to the Custom Links box. Click the Add to Menu button to open the form where you’ll add your custom link.
- Fill out the forms. Next, add the URL of the page or post you want to link to and add the text for the menu item. For instance, you may want to link to your “About Us” page or your contact page. You can also choose to add a name tag for the menu item.
- Add the link to your menu. Once you’ve completed filling out the form, click the Add to Menu button. You’ll see the custom menu item added automatically to your navigation menu.
- Rearrange your new menu item. To arrange your new menu item on your navigation menu bar, you can drag it to the position you want it to appear. You can also click the Edit button to access another editing screen to customize the link’s specific attributes and create advanced menu tags for WordPress.
- Save and Preview. Once you are happy with the placement of your new menu item, hit the Save Menu button. Refresh your front page to see the changes you’ve made on your header or footer navigation menu.
Overall, adding links to your menu in WordPress is a simple process that can greatly improve your website’s user experience. By providing easy navigation to key pages or posts, you can increase conversions and promote your brand. So go ahead, make your website easy to use by adding links to your menu, and create a great user experience.