Perplexing Ways to Remove the Sidebar from Your WordPress Page
Understanding the SideBar in WordPress Page
Before we dive into the perplexing ways to remove the sidebar from your WordPress page, let’s unpack what a sidebar is in WordPress. Sidebars are the areas you add additional content such as menus, recent posts, tags archives and more.
Sidebars are usually displayed on all pages and posts by default, unless you have a custom theme or have disabled it.
Why Remove the Sidebar from WordPress Page?
There are numerous reasons why one might want to remove the sidebar from their WordPress page. Some of these reasons include:
- To enhance website performance. Sidebars may take up a lot of space on a website, thereby causing slow page load times. By removing the sidebar, your website users will enjoy speedy page loads and optimized user experience.
- To improve content readability. Sidebars can be distracting to readers, making it difficult for them to focus on the main content. By removing the sidebar, you may reduce clutter, making content easier to read and navigate through your website.
- To create a minimalist layout. A minimalist design, which minimizes distractions and focuses on essential content, is preferred by many users. Removing sidebars can achieve a sleek, modern, minimalist design, making it ideal for personal blogs, portfolios, and e-commerce websites.
Methods to Remove Sidebar from WordPress Page
Now that we’ve discussed why you may want to remove the sidebar from your WordPress page, let’s explore different ways you can do it:
Method 1: Use WordPress Widget Option
The easiest way to remove the sidebar from your WordPress page is to use the Widget option as follows:
- Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on Appearance > Widgets.
- Drag and drop all the widgets from the main sidebar to the Inactive Widgets section. This will remove all the sidebar widgets from your website.
- Save the changes and preview your website. The sidebar should now be removed from your WordPress page.
The drawback of this method is that it will remove the sidebar from all pages and posts in your website, which may not be ideal if you want to keep the sidebar on some pages.
Method 2: Use WordPress Theme Option
Another way to remove the sidebar from your WordPress page is to use the Theme Option. Some WordPress themes allow you to remove the sidebar from specific pages or posts. Here are the steps:
- Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on Appearance > Customize.
- Click on the theme options and look for the option to remove the sidebar. Depending on your theme, this option may be located in different places.
- Once you find the option to remove the sidebar, select it and save the changes.
- Preview your website, and the sidebar should now be removed from the specific pages or posts.
The advantage of this method is that it allows you to remove the sidebar from specific pages and posts, rather than all of them. However, this method may not be available for all WordPress themes, so you may need to check if your theme allows this customization.
Method 3: Use Page Builder Plugin Option
If your WordPress theme doesn’t allow you to remove the sidebar from specific pages and posts, you can use a page builder plugin such as Elementor, Beaver Builder, or Divi. These plugins provide a drag-and-drop interface, allowing you to customize your website design without any coding. Here are the steps:
- Install and activate a page builder plugin, such as Elementor.
- Create a new page and open it in Elementor.
- Drag and drop the widget for the main content to the center of the page.
- Save the page and preview it. The sidebar should now be removed from the page.
The advantage of using a page builder plugin is that it allows you to create a highly customized design with a wide range of design options. However, this method requires you to learn how to use the page builder plugins, which can take some time.
Removing the sidebar from your WordPress page is a simple process that can be accomplished with just a few clicks. There are different ways to do it, depending on your preference and level of customization you require. Whether you choose to use WordPress widgets, theme options or page builder plugins, removing the sidebar helps improve the performance, readability, and aesthetics of your website. Giving you the ability to create a sleek and modern design that enhances user experience and draws attention to essential content.