Perplexing ways to delete excess on WordPress
Having a website is pretty great, but having a website with dazzling curated content is even better. Though, disseminating all your content on your WordPress site isn’t always the most appropriate way to present your reader’s focus. Don’t fret! This is where excerpts come in. They allow you to feature a summary of your post or page rather than flaunting the entire content.
Removing Excerpts With Plugins
If you’re not at ease with fancy footwork on a website’s code, then deleting the excerpt via plugins is the best way to go. Thankfully, WordPress offers an array of plug-ins to feature the entire post or page without the use of excerpts. The “Full Post and Page Content” plugin is one of the most beloved.
- Log into the WordPress dashboard and choose “Plugins”>“Add New.”
- Look for “Full Post and Page Content” in the search bar.
- Install the plugin and activate it.
- Choose “Settings”>“Full Post and Page.”
- Tick the “Enable Full Post and Page” box.
- Scroll down and select “Save Changes.”
Modifying Theme Files to Delete Excerpts
Inclusive of a basic web design knowledge or a theme that doesn’t come with an easy plug-and-play solution in modifying your theme files. In achieving the desired results to step up your site’s design level, this method is the best.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and go to “Appearance” > “Themes.”
- Choose the theme you want to modify and select “Edit.”
- Click the “function.php” file among your theme files, and open it.
- Scroll down and input the following code:
- Select “Update File” to save it.
remove_filter( ‘get_the_excerpt’, ‘wp_trim_excerpt’ );
Deleting Excerpts by Modifying Post/Page Template Files
If you want to delete excerpts from particular pages or posts use template files. These files control how individual posts, pages, or other custom post types are showcased on your website.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to “Pages” or “Posts.”
- Select “Screen Options” at the top section of the page, then select “Custom Fields.”
- Scroll down to the “Custom Fields” area and pick “Enter New.”
- In the “Name” field, input “full_content.”
- In the “Value” area, type “true.”
- Select “Update” the page/post.
- Create a new file in your child theme’s directory and name it “single.php.”
- Copy the contents of the original “single.php” file from your parent theme and paste it in the new “single.php” file.
- Delete the excerpt code from this file:
- Replace it with the following code:
- Select “Save File.”
Removing Excerpt through Coding
If you’re used to coding, then removing the excerpt in WordPress by coding is for advanced WordPress users who are comfortable with modifying code snippets. Although this option is one of the most customizable, it also requires a technical understanding of coding.
- Connect with your WordPress website via FTP or cPanel.
- Go to the “wp-includes” folder and pick the “post-template.php” file.
- Copy the code snippet below and paste it into the “functions.php” file in your theme directory.
- Save and upload the “functions.php” file.
- Refresh your WordPress website.
In conclusion, a website with curated content is great, but to have more control over your WordPress site, you need to remove the excess. There are different ways to achieve this without any complications, such as via plugin, modifying theme or template files, and even coding. Choose which one suits your needs and skill level to take your website to the next level.