“Revamp Your SEO Game with this Simple Hack to Update Your XML Sitemap in WordPress!”
Perplexing and Bursty Guide on Updating XML Sitemap in WordPress
As a website owner or manager, you must keep your site’s XML sitemap updated to facilitate efficient crawling and indexing by search engines. If you’re using WordPress, updating your XML sitemap is possible through plugins or manual methods.
What is an XML Sitemap?
An XML sitemap consists of a list of all the URLs that form part of a website, designed to assist search engines in finding, crawling, and indexing a website’s content efficiently. Essentially, it’s a map that guides search engines to locate all pages on your site. It allows search engines to interpret your website structure, prioritize important content pages, and ensure that all pages are indexed in search results.
Why Update Your XML Sitemap?
When adding or updating content on your site, you must notify search engines to crawl and index your web pages to appear in search results for relevant queries, thus driving traffic to your site. By updating your sitemap each time you add or delete a page, you can inform search engines of the changes you’ve made to your site. This highlights the significance of having an updated sitemap to enhance SEO for your WordPress site.
Updating Your XML Sitemap
Method 1: Update XML Sitemap with a Plugin
Updating XML sitemaps promptly and effectively can be achieved through the use of WordPress plugins. Here is a step-by-step guide on updating your sitemap and including popular plugins such as Yoast SEO, Google XML Sitemaps, and All In One SEO Pack.
- Click ‘SEO’ > ‘General’ > ‘Features’ from your WordPress dashboard.
- Scroll down to ‘XML sitemaps’ and switch it on
- Click on ‘See XML sitemap.’
- Ensure all WebPages you want to be indexed are included in the sitemap.
- If any pages are missing, click on ‘Search Appearance to customize your sitemap and include new pages.
- Click ‘Save changes’ to update your sitemap.
Google XML Sitemaps
- Install and activate the plugin from the WordPress repository.
- From your dashboard, navigate to ‘Settings’ > ‘XML-Sitemap.
- Click ‘Build sitemap’ to generate a new sitemap.
- Preview your new/’updated sitemap by clicking ‘View your XML sitemap.’
- Verify that the URLs in the sitemap are correct and make any necessary changes to the plugin settings.
All In One SEO Pack
- Install and activate this SEO plugin from the WordPress repository.
- From your WordPress dashboard, go to ‘All In One SEO’ > ‘XML Sitemap.’
- Click the ‘Rebuild Sitemap’ button if you’ve updated or added any new pages.
- Double-check the updated sitemap by clicking ‘View XML Sitemap.’
- Change the sitemap settings by going to ‘XML Sitemap’ if necessary.
Method 2: Update XML Sitemap Manually
If you prefer not to use plugins, you can update your XML sitemap manually by following these steps:
- Check if your WordPress website already has a sitemap by typing “yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml” into your browser.
- If there is a sitemap, locate the sitemap.xml file in the root folder of your WordPress site through your hosting account’s File Manager.
- Download the sitemap.xml file to make changes to its document on your computer.
- Open the document with a text editor, like Notepad or any other XML editor, and make necessary changes, like adding new pages/URLs, removing old pages or URLs, or updating details like date modified.
- Make sure you follow proper XML syntax rules and formatting while making changes.
- Once completed, upload the new sitemap file to your server in the same location you found the sitemap.xml file.
- Your updated sitemap should now be live.
Tips for Maintaining an Updated XML Sitemap
To ensure your sitemap remains up-to-date, follow these tips:
- Ensure you have a plugin or method to update your sitemap regularly.
- Update your sitemap a few hours after changes or additions to your website.
- Keep your sitemap simple and organized to facilitate easy navigation by search engines.
- Exclude pages that shouldn’t be indexed from the sitemap.
- If your site has duplicate or similar content with different URLs, choose one as the primary URL and consolidate the content.
Keeping your XML sitemap updated for your WordPress site is essential for efficient crawling and indexing by search engines, thereby optimizing SEO by maximizing the chances of appearing in relevant search results. Remember to update your sitemap promptly and ensure you follow the best practices listed above.