Perplexed by how to Control the Image in a Link in WordPress?
WordPress is known for its easy-to-use and customizable content management system (CMS), but even the savviest user can find controlling images in links a bit puzzling at times. Fear not, as we have created this guide to help you figure out how to take charge of your link images using WordPress.
What exactly is the Image in a Link?
Before we delve into the complexities of controlling images in links, let’s first understand what it is. When you add a link to your WordPress site, the default image that appears is usually the featured image of the post or page that it links to. It is known as the “open graph image” and is automatically displayed in link previews when shared on social media channels.
Why is it Important to Control the Image in a Link?
Controlling the image in a link is crucial because it has a significant impact on your website’s traffic and engagement. A visually appealing image relevant to the content of the linked page increases the chances of users clicking on the link. Additionally, a customized image can help with branding and recognition. Therefore, having control over what image is displayed in a link is essential.
How to Control the Image in a Link in WordPress
There are several ways to control the image in a link in WordPress, including:
Set a Featured Image
One of the easiest ways to control the image in a link is by setting a featured image. This method is particularly useful if you want the image to display as the default open graph image. To set a featured image in WordPress, follow these steps:
- Edit the post or page you want to add the image
- Scroll down to the “Featured Image” section on the right-hand side of the edit screen
- Click on the “Set Featured Image” button
- Upload or select the image you want to use as the featured image
- Click “Set Featured Image”
Add a Custom Image for a Specific Link
If you want the link to have a unique image that is different from the featured image, you can control the image in the link by adding a custom image for that specific link. To add a custom image for a specific link in WordPress, follow these steps:
- Click on the link you want to add the custom image to
- In the “Visual” editor, highlight the text or image you want to use as the link
- Click on the “Add Media” button
- Upload or select the image you want to use as the custom image
- Click on the “Insert into post” button
- Click on the link again to open the editing tool
- In the “URL” field, enter the link you want to use
- In the “Title” field, enter a descriptive title for the link (this will display when you hover over the link)
- In the “Description” field, add a description for the link (this will display when you hover over the link)
- In the “Image URL” field, insert the URL of the custom image you uploaded earlier
- Click “Save”
Use a Plugin
If you’re still having trouble controlling the image in a link in WordPress, you can try using a plugin. Many plugins available allow you to customize the open graph image for every page or post on your website. Some of the most popular plugins include:
- Yoast SEO: One of the most popular SEO plugins for WordPress, Yoast allows you to control the open graph image for each post or page on your website
- WP Meta SEO: A powerful SEO plugin that lets you optimize your website’s meta tags and social media previews, including the open graph image
- All in One SEO Pack: Another popular SEO plugin that includes features for optimizing the open graph image for each page or post on your website
Controlling the image in a link in WordPress is crucial for getting traffic to your website and keeping your audience engaged. By setting a featured image, adding a custom image, or using a plugin, you can easily control the image that displays in links on your site. Follow these simple tips, and you’ll be able to control the open graph image and create a visually stunning website that will attract and keep users engaged.