WordPress and the Perplexing Challenge of Showcasing Related Posts
WordPress is an enigmatic and versatile content management system, boasting a vast array of features that make it possible to create the best blog possible. Among these features, the ability to showcase related posts can prove to be quite tricky. Nonetheless, presenting related posts on your site can increase engagement levels, and it provides an easy way for users to browse other articles that pique their interest. In this article, we will discuss how to showcase related posts in WordPress.
The Mysteries of Related Posts
Related posts can be described as content on your website that shaers similar content or topic. In essence, once a visitor clicks on your post, they will have a list of additional articles that relate to the one they just read. By providing additional content that’s related to a user’s current read, you are guaranteeing that they will stay engaged with your site for more extended periods.
Why Showcase Related Posts on WordPress?
One primary reason related posts are recommended is that they help keep readers on your site for a more extended period. Your readers are more likely to browse through articles related to what they’ve already read. As a result, you get more page views, a favorable surge in search engine rankings, better engagement levels and finally, reduced bounce rates.
How to Showcase Related Posts on WordPress
Depending on whether or not you are using a custom, plug-in or updating your blog, there are a host of ways that you can showcase related posts on WordPress. Here are two of the most popular methods:
Method 1 – Using a Plugin
Using a plug-in is the simplest way to add related posts on your blog. WordPress has many plug-ins available that can add this feature to your site, each work differently. Here are two of the most popular plug-ins:
- Jetpack – The plug-in is easy to install and use. It provides a list of related posts at the end of every article you write.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP) – This reliable plug-in has many customizable options which allow you to select your preferred display options according to your site needs.
Method 2 – Displaying Related Posts Manually
If you’re not interested in using a plug-in, you can still display related posts manually. WordPress has built-in functions that can allow this to happen. Here are different ways to customize related posts:
- Using tags – WordPress tags can be used to create a list of all tags associated with a post, making it possible to show related posts based on tags.
- Advanced Custom Fields: This powerful plug-in presents a reliable way to establish a custom post relationship field, creating an association between specific topics for your users.
Tips for Customizing Related Posts in WordPress
Once you’ve decided the method you want to use to display related posts, the following are tips for customizing and improving engagement:
- Ensure that Related post titles are captivating and provide accurate representations of the content of each post.
- Use excerpts as a teaser to give readers a preview of what to expect when they click through to other articles.
- Images grab the attention of the visitor and can increase the click-through rate – it’s recommended to add images to related post listings for more inclusive browsing.
- Experiment with various display formats, titles, and tags to find what works best for your readers.
Conclusively, showcasing related posts on your blog is a great way to engage users with your content, guide them through your website, and encourage them to return. Regardless of the method you choose, customizing and experimenting with display formats is critical in providing a pleasant and comprehensive browsing experience for your users.