How to Add a Favicon to Your WordPress Website
A Favicon is a tiny icon that can appear in the address bar, tabs, and bookmarks of your website on a browser. This feature helps to make your website stand out and get recognized quickly. WordPress websites offer many ways to add Favicons easily. In this guide, we will explain how to put a favicon in WordPress:
Step 1: Create Your Favicon
Before you start uploading a Favicon to your WordPress website, you need to create one. There are many online tools that you can use to create a favicon. You can also design one using an image editing software like Adobe Photoshop or Canva. Your Favicon should have an image of 16×16 pixels in size, and you can save it in .ico, .png, or .gif format.
Step 2: Upload Favicon Through WordPress Customizer
You can use WordPress Customizer to upload your Favicon. Here’s how you can upload a favicon through WordPress Customizer:
- Log in to your WordPress website
- Go to “Appearance” > “Customize”
- Click on “Site Identity”
- Scroll down until you see the “Site Icon” section
- Click on “Select Image”
- Choose the favicon file you just created
- Save changes
WordPress will automatically resize and crop the uploaded favicon to fit the required 16×16 pixel size.
Step 3: Upload Favicon through WordPress Plugin
If you are having difficulty uploading the favicon through the customization option or FTP, you can use a WordPress plugin. Plugins make it easier for you to upload your favicon without any coding skills. Follow the steps below to install a plugin to upload a favicon:
- Log in to your WordPress Dashboard
- Go to “Plugins” and click on “Add New”
- Search for “favicon” in the search bar
- Choose the plugin that fits your requirements
- Click on “Install” > “Activate” the plugin
- Once the plugin is activated, you will see a new “Favicon” option on the “Settings” menu
- Click on “Favicon”
- Upload your favicon to the plugin option
- Save changes
Make sure to keep your favicon file size under 100KB so that your website loads fast.
Step 4: Upload Favicon Manually through FTP
If you’re not comfortable using any plugin, you can also upload the favicon manually through FTP. Follow the steps below to upload the Favicon manually:
- Connect to your website’s FTP using an FTP client like Filezilla
- Navigate to the root folder of your website in the FTP client
- Find the “public_html” folder (in case of a single website hosted or else can choose as per the name of that specific website folder)
- Find the “wp-content” folder, open it and then find the “themes” folder and open it
- Select the theme you are using, then find and open the “header.php” file
- Look for the following line:
- Save the changes
And put the below code in that header section:
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" sizes="16x16" href="<?php echo get_stylesheet_directory_uri().'/favicon.png'; ?>">
How to Check if It’s Working?
Once you add your favicon through the Customizer, plugin, or manual FTP upload, the icon should appear on your website. However, if it doesn’t appear immediately, try clearing the cache and reloading the page or trying a different computer or browser.
Wrapping It Up
Adding a favicon to your WordPress website is essential in branding and making your website unique. You can choose any of the above-mentioned methods depending on what is most convenient for you. So go ahead and add your favicon to your WordPress website and make your website more visually appealing and recognizable!