How to Add an “Under Construction” Page in WordPress
If you’re working on a new website, you might need to put it “under construction” for a period of time while you finish developing the site. This can be especially important if you’re building a website for a client who doesn’t want users to see the site until it’s complete.
Method 1: Using the WordPress Theme Customizer
One of the easiest ways to create an “under construction” page in WordPress is to use the built-in Theme Customizer. This feature allows you to customize many different aspects of your website’s appearance and functionality, including adding a custom “under construction” message or page.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard
- Click on the “Appearance” tab in the left-hand menu.
- Click on “Customize” to launch the WordPress Theme Customizer.
- Look for options related to your site’s homepage or landing page.
- Once you’ve located the section for your homepage or landing page, you can create a message that will let visitors know that your site is under construction or create a custom landing page that will be displayed instead of your site’s usual homepage.
- You can also choose pre-designed “under construction” pages or templates that come with your theme.
Method 2: Using a WordPress Plugin
While the Theme Customizer is a great starting point, some WordPress users may prefer to use a plugin to make the process even easier.
- Install and activate your chosen plugin such as WP Maintenance Mode, Under Construction Page, and Maintenance.
- Access the settings by clicking on “Settings” in the left-hand menu of your WordPress dashboard and select the maintenance mode plugin that you installed.
- Customize your “under construction” page by adding your own message and choosing a background image or color scheme.
- Activate the maintenance mode for a specific period of time.
Having an “under construction” page can be a helpful way to communicate with visitors and let them know that your site isn’t quite ready yet. With the help of the WordPress Theme Customizer or a dedicated maintenance mode plugin, you can easily create a custom page that will help you keep visitors engaged and informed while you work on your website. So go ahead and make all the necessary updates and changes to your site, and when you’re ready to launch, your visitors will be just as excited as you are to see your new and improved online presence!